I have an idea. And the more I think about this idea, the more excited I get. I hope you will feel the same because I want you to join me!
For at least 15 years, maybe more, I’ve had this dream of creating my future. I was taught growing up that the “right” way to be successful was to go to college (which I paid for myself) and then get a “good” job. I have followed this path all my life. I have to say that although I don’t like my current job, and I find it infinitely frustrating at times, it is by anyone’s standards a “good” job. It’s better than good. It pays well. The benefits are great (not just hard benefits like health insurance and retirement, but also soft ones like working from home and lots of paid vacation). It’s also flexible and has allowed me to do many things I never would have been able to do had I worked somewhere else.
This is not about being unhappy with my job. It’s about wanting financial freedom. It’s about wanting to create something. It’s about showing my girls that there are many ways to be successful.
To give credit where credit is due, I have been listening to the podcast Side Hustle School for over half a year. I find the stories to be both motivating and inspiring, and many of the tips are useful as I try to figure out how to build a career for myself that isn’t defined by someone else. If you’re like me and you want to turn this blogging thing into more than a hobby then I highly recommend listening.
This post is for people who are on WordPress who want more. I have nothing against those blogging for fun…I completely understand needing a creative outlet without wanting/needing to turn it into more. But I’m looking to create a group of people who want to join together to help push each other forward. My inspiration was The Onward Project which was founded by Gretchen Rubin. Side Hustle School is part of this and I’ve wondered for a while what it was all about. This morning I Googled it and found that it’s just a simple 1 page website that lists 3 podcasts.
I had thought it would be so much more. I had images of big things, of a network of resources all sharing a common theme. I thought it would include podcasts, websites and other links to information someone interested in whatever the Onward Project’s mission is.
It was none of that. It was simply 3 links.
But it gave me an idea. I want to create what I thought the Onward Project would be. I want to recruit people from my network who want to build something together. I want to find people who:
- Have a mental health, parenting, or self-improvement blog who wants to get discovered off of WordPress (if your blog is in a different area and you want to join lets figure out how you fit!)
- Have published, or want to publish a book in one of these areas
- Have experience with, or an interest in, creating a YouTube channel or podcast in one of these areas
- Have experience with, or an interest in, creating and selling products of interest to this type of audience
- Have a product, service or skill that would be useful to people pursuing any of the above including:
- Graphic designer
- Book review site
- Marketing expert
My dream is twofold:
- Create a website that links to everyone who joins this team (whatever we decide to call this). This site would be more than just outgoing links, but a resource in itself that every member has access to (similar to Word of the Day). We would all be able to create content here that would point to what we are each doing, but also hopefully to each other.
- Create a network of people with a variety of skills and knowledge who can collaborate, share ideas, share resources and basically motivate and encourage each other. There is so much advice available online but it would be far more efficient to have a group of people we trust to really tell us what worked for them and what didn’t, rather than depend on a bunch of people trying to sell us their affiliate products. I am learning so much about building an online presence and while this blog isn’t the place to share what I know, I know there have to be many of you out there who would be interested in what I am learning, and I’m sure you have lots of your own knowledge to share.
If you’re at all interested I hope you will join me! Leave a comment, or email me directly at email@example.com.
Let’s build something!